ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNING
To enable students to become fluent and comfortable with the English language in social and academic settings. At the end of their time in the program, the ELL students should be confident to function independently at a grade-appropriate level.
The ELL curriculum, developed by Morrison ELL teachers with input from core teachers, divides language learning into five levels that are recognized across the world in the field of teaching English as a foreign or second language.
These levels are beginner, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate, and upper intermediate. The language levels also assume a continuum of progress. That is, many of the skills taught at the beginner level may continue to be developed in other levels. See chart below for a more visual explanation. (Note the overlaps.)
Curriculum Level / Approximate Grade Level
Beginner / Kindergarten
Elementary / 1st - 2nd grade
Pre-Intermediate / 3rd - 5th grade
Intermediate / 5th - 7th grade
Upper Intermediate / 7th - 8th grade
Exit ELL Requirements
The exit requirements are grade level achievement in all areas, mastery of the benchmarks and independence in classroom work (no modifications are necessary). Only those students who meet these requirements will be given an exit test.
If a student exits ELL, he/she will be monitored during the following semester. Adjustments will be made if the student is found to be struggling with class work. Generally, students remain in ELL for two to three years.
學生必須達到 ELL課程 與各科的學科標準，才可接受是否可離開本課程的測驗。當學生離開本課程後，也會被仔細評估其學習狀況。
Helping Your Child Learn English
- Read with/to your child daily and talk about the stories afterward 天天一起閱讀並討論故事內容
- Listen to books on CD from the school library or at: 借用圖書館或聆聽線上的有聲故事書
- Watch cartoons, movies, the news, science programs, etc. in English and discuss them
- Play reading and vocabulary games; here are three good websites: 一起玩有助閱讀或字彙的線上遊戲
- Encourage your child to keep a journal or write to a friend or relative 鼓勵他寫日記或寫信給親友
- Participate in English speaking activities 參加英文活動
- Provide opportunities to speak English at home by inviting friends over
- Work and play together! This adds vocabulary and experience to help students improve reading comprehension 一起工作及遊戲，增加孩子字彙及理解能力
- Love, praise, and affirm your child - all these enhance language learning
We are very happy to be teaching your child this year. We want to do everything we can to help your child succeed. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.